Monday, May 4, 2009



David super busy at school learning how to play with playdough and not eat it! I warned his new teacher, Ms. Nowel about his habit of eating it at home, but thankfully Playstreet makes their own and she informed me that it is very salty to discourage the children from eating it!!


David walking into Playstreet for the first time as a student of Ms. Nowel's class. His elephant backpack is still a tich too big!

Getting ready for school, David was so excited to dress very smart for school and of course he wanted to put a hat on this morning as well, he loves hats!

David as superman on his new motorbike, watch out Aunt Missey and Uncle Rick, David might want to do a ride along with you guys in the future!

David and Mommy had a special Sunday morning alone while Jalena was at church. Church is about 4 1/2 hours long and there is no way David lasts through church, so Jalena goes with her old brothers and sisters from the Ark and Mommy and David get some alone time. David turns 2 on May 14th and has been a bit obsessed to say the least with bicycles and motorbikes here in Kenya. So, we went to Yaya to pick out a little toy scooter or bike and of course David saw this motorbike and jumped right on, tested out a few others in the store, but always went back to this slick silver, black and red motorbike, so he got an early birthday present and it is hard to find David now anywhere else but on the motorbike, he has even been doing some pop a wheelys (sp?)

Jalena on the other hand loves animals, especially our next door neighbor's golden retriever, Polar. Polar's parents were off at the beach this weekend and their househelp watched him most of the day and we got a few hours of playtime in with Polar each day. Polar at night is the night watch dog for the apartment complex, more like the night play dog for the guards, they just love him and Polar is only one year old, so he just loves to play and is bit rambunctious! As you will notice, David is more interested in patting my head compared to Polar's. David loves the idea of dogs and every animal is a dog, however since Polar has barked a few times out of excitement to play with David, David is a bit petrified of him, but we work on playing with Polar everyday to try to break David in, so he is not afraid of Ellie and Nina waiting at home for David in Denver. Jalena cannot wait to meet them and has even heard Ellie do the speak command over Skype, so she is trying to teach that one to Polar.
We discussed at dinner seeing eye dogs with Jalena and getting one when she was older and of course she said she would like Polar to be her seeing eye dog. She would love to ditch her cane for a puppy, that is for SURE!
Jalena loves giving Polar belling rubs, and of course he is not exactly refusing!
Couldn't resist sharing this fabulous do shot after me washing and blowing out Jalena's hair the night before, talk about BEDHEAD!

Kiddos playing while getting ready to go in the swimming pool. David loves standing behind Jalena and putting his arms around her belly and then he pulls her down and they fall on top of one another, they both think it is the most hysterical thing ever and just can't stop laughing and they do it over and over and over again!


Sorry there has not been a post for a few days. Our internet was down and of course Friday was a holiday, so I could not even believe that they fixed it today since most of the schools do not start back until tomorrow. Our big news is, David went to school for the first time today and LOVED IT!!!! I reserved this whole month for spending the mornings with him at school, I only had to stay fifteen minutes and he was totally enthralled with learning and being with other kids, so it was WONDERFUL! I know most parents cry when they leave their kids at school the first day, but I was just so so very excited that he loved being there. I was petrified that he would scream non-stop and there was not a peep out of him, which could not have made me feel better! I thought they also ate their snack there and then he had lunch at home, nope, picked our child up who has not touched meat for me and was told that he ate ALL of his beef stew for lunch, I said, "excuse me, did you just tell me that my child ate meat?" I could not get over it! Of course we went to a birthday party on Sunday as well, I tried for him to eat a hot dog and hamburger, would not eat either for me, smothered them both in ketchup since he loves it, he would suck all the ketchup off and then not eat the meat, I left the room for one second and someone came running to tell me that he ate a hot dog while walking by someones plate, could not believe that one either. So, now I am convinced, he is a secret carnivore!

We had a busy weekend of visiting some old friends who also adopted from the same children's home and then some swimming of course, had a very successful yard, sale, I only have my bed frame left from last year, a birthday party, and a long day of church for Jalena. We started this week off with David starting school and Jalena goes back tomorrow, which she is super excited about. We also had a thrilling afternoon of visiting the doctor for them each to get three vaccines, which they just LOVED, not exactly. Last time there was no tears for Jalena, but this time she let her guard down and was not a very happy camper, but the chocolate ice cream promised for dessert of course helped a bit. The vaccines also broke the bank a bit, healthcare is fee for service here, so after the vaccines I was kindly asked for 350 USDollars, which I of course did not have on me, so I have to go back tomorrow to the doctor to pay them the rest of the money. Most people would say, why don't you just wait until you get back to the states and just pay your copay. Well, to get them out of this country and to pass their US medical exam for their VISA here, they have to be current on their vaccines and we don't want them getting 12 vaccines all at once at the end. Oh, well, another day of super expensive Nairobi!

Got to head to bed, David is still not totally sleeping through the night, we are getting there, but I just never know, so I take advantage of whatever sleep I can get, plus tomorrow we have to start waking up earlier for Jalena's school, ugg, Mommy hates early mornings!

No comments: